What Happens if You Breathe in Mold Every Day?

Mold exposure is a serious concern that can affect anyone, regardless of age or health condition.

In this article, we will explore the various aspects of mold exposure, from its potential to make you sick to the long-term effects it may have on your health.

How Quickly Can Mold Make You Sick?

Mold exposure can have varying effects on individuals, and the time it takes to manifest symptoms differs from person to person. Some may experience immediate reactions, while others might face delayed symptoms.

It all depends on several factors, such as the amount of mold, duration of exposure, and your body’s sensitivity. If you’ve been exposed to mold, pay close attention to any changes in your health within the first few hours or days.

Allergies and Sensitivities

Everyone reacts to mold differently, and your personal sensitivity to mold plays a significant role in how quickly symptoms may develop.

If you have mold allergies, your immune system reacts to mold spores as invaders or allergens, triggering reactions like sneezing, nasal congestion, and skin irritation.

A woman sneezing due to allergies.

This allergic reaction can occur immediately after exposure or may take some time to manifest. Individuals without mold allergies may also experience symptoms if they have a one-time exposure to a significant amount of mold.

Amount of Mold

The quantity of mold present in your environment can impact the severity and speed at which symptoms develop. Individuals with sensitivity to mold may experience symptoms even after exposure to small amounts.

Mold can hide in many spots, so it’s important to be watchful, especially in damp or water-damaged areas.

Duration of Exposure

The length of time you are exposed to mold can influence the number of spores inhaled and, consequently, your health. If exposure is brief, you may not experience any symptoms.

Prolonged exposure can lead to a higher accumulation of mold spores in your respiratory system, increasing the risk of health issues.

If you spend significant time in mold-infested environments, take necessary precautions to protect yourself.

Proximity to Mold

Direct contact with mold can also affect how quickly symptoms develop.

Activities such as cleaning moldy items can expose you to a higher concentration of spores. This leads to reactions, especially in sensitive individuals.

Minimize direct contact with mold as much as possible, and wear protective gear if handling mold is unavoidable.

Symptoms of Short-term Mold Exposure

The side effects of short-term mold exposure can vary from mild to severe.

Typical symptoms include:

  • Sinus and nasal congestion
  • Nasal irritation
  • Itchy, watery eyes
  • Red eyes
  • Blurry vision
  • Wheezing
  • Trouble breathing
  • Coughing
  • Sore throat
  • Sneezing
  • Nosebleeds
  • Skin irritation
  • Headache
  • Asthma attacks (for those with asthma)

Who’s at Risk for Developing Symptoms From Mold Exposure?

Certain groups of people are more vulnerable to the health effects of mold exposure.

These include:

  • Babies and young children, whose immune systems are still developing
  • Pregnant individuals, who may be more susceptible due to hormonal changes
  • People with chronic respiratory conditions, such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
  • Individuals with allergies or compromised immune systems
  • Elderly individuals, whose immune responses may weaken with age
  • People with pre-existing health conditions, like HIV or cancer, that can lower immune function

Repeated or prolonged exposure to mold can lead to more severe health effects over time.

Long-term Consequences May Include:

  • Increased risk of upper and lower respiratory symptoms
  • Persistent fatigue
  • Organ damage, particularly in vulnerable individuals
  • Development of mold allergy in individuals previously unaffected
  • Development of asthma, especially in children who have been exposed to mold at an early age

These long-term effects emphasize the importance of addressing mold problems promptly and taking steps to prevent exposure.

A picture of mold growing in the corner of a bathroom.

How to Tell if You Have a Mold Problem

Identifying a mold problem in your environment is important for protecting your health. Here are some telltale signs that may indicate the presence of mold:

  • Musty odor: A distinct smell often accompanies mold growth.
  • Visual clues: Look for black, green, gray, or white splotches on walls, ceilings, or other surfaces.
  • Growing spots: Mold tends to spread and may appear to increase in size over time.
  • Discolored grout between tiles: Mold can grow in damp areas like bathrooms and may affect grout lines.

If you notice any of these signs, it’s a good idea to investigate further and address the issue.

What if I Find Mold?

If you discover mold in your environment and it covers a small area (less than 3 square feet), feel free to clean it yourself. It’s important to take appropriate precautions, such as wearing protective gear and ensuring proper ventilation during the cleaning process.

For larger areas of mold infestation or if you are unsure about how to handle the situation safely, it is best to reach out to us for a mold testing or removal.

We have the expertise and equipment to handle mold-related issues safely and effectively.


Mold exposure is a significant concern for your health and well-being. Mold can make you sick, its potential side effects, and the long-term consequences highlight the importance of taking action. 

We advise to keep your eye out for mold, especially in areas prone to mold growth, and take the necessary steps to safeguard yourself and your loved ones.

If you suspect a mold problem, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. By being proactive and informed, you can create a healthier living environment and reduce the risks associated with mold exposure.

Happy customers

Client testimonials

Julie S.


"They were very knowledgeable, answered all of my questions, excellent customer service and very professional."

Premier D.


"Jason and his crew are excellent! They handle all of our environmental testing and provide reports fast and sufficient. Always there if we need them!"

Chris R.


"Excellent service and price. Very thorough and they will not charge or suggest services you don't need."

Mike M.


"They were prompt and professional. From the time I contacted them until the time I had the full report was less than 36 hours."

Dorien L.


"Jason was just terrific. He went out of his way to accommodate my wish for an inspection as soon as possible. He went way about and beyond."

Braden C.


" Super reliable, friendly, and convenient! I definitely recommend Jason and his guys."

Ready for an inspection?

No matter your situation if you're dealing with asbestos, mold, lead paint or other harmful materials give us a call and we'll be on site fast to test.